Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Year of the Lord

Today I heard many speak about the New Year.  Many spoke about how last year was hard and how this year was going to be their year.  I found myself thinking the same thing.  I, like most, want to have a better year this year than last.  I would like to be more financially secure, a better mom, a better wife, house keeper, the list goes on and on.  I would like to lose weight and keep it off.  But I digress.

Anyway, I started thinking about the positive parts of last year and the resounding theme was the Lord.  He was there with me every time something hard was going on. He was always there.  He guided me through the rough waters and kept me afloat when I thought I might just sink.  2011 was filled with a lot less anxiety than in years past.  I can see that now, looking back.

I want a  better year for me.  But as a Christian I am quickly reminded that life is not about me.  It is about Him.  To want a better year for my own personal gain is selfish and unChrist-like. The Lord gave me a phrase today.  It is not the "Year of Christi. It is the Year of the Lord".

How comforting is that?  To me it is extremely comforting.  I know that I am not going to be free of struggles or trials this year.  I will NEVER be free of that as long as I am actively pursuing my Maker.  There is an evil one out there that is on high alert for those that follow the true Redeemer. 

I am taking Romans 5:1-5 to be my motto for this year.  This verse has been something that the Holy Spirit has used to gently remind me that I am not here for me but for Him. 

1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5 and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

No comments: