Monday, February 27, 2012

Spiritual Purge-Stand Clear!

I have recently started reading the book "7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess". I have struggled with all that we have for many years and have blogged about it about a million times!  I have always felt like we had too much.  Not that having stuff is not okay...it is the stuff that takes over your life.  The stuff that consumes your thoughts and your hopes and your dreams.  Jen Hatmaker takes the excess to the extreme!  She goes on a radical fast from excess for 7 months.  As I have been reading, I am halfway through month 4, I realize that I have let stuff become my idol. I let it rule me. I am consumed with clothing, tv, facebook and the like. 

What should I do about this?

I have had the overwhelming feeling that I should purge my house.  This has been a feeling I have had for a while but honestly am afraid to start.  There is so much stuff.  I am by no means a hoarder, or even a collector of things.  Our family of 5 just has more than we need. 

As I think about purging my closet of clothes that no longer fit, you know those jeans that are two sizes too small that you just know one day you will wear again (keep dreaming!), or clear my pantry of all foods that have more than 5 ingredients on the label, or take every toy down to the homeless shelter for less fortunate boys and girls, I wonder what is it that I really must purge?  Is it only physical? Is is spiritual?

As I mentioned in my last post the Lord is working on my heart.  He is leading me down new paths.  I talked about roadblocks that He clearly set up. What about the roadblocks that I have set up? What part do I have in all of this? What am I doing that is keeping me from doing what the Lord has planned for me?

I know that I have some physical things.  I have set up some idols before Him.  TV, Facebook, anything else that takes away time from my Savior.  As the days pass and as I continue to purge the physical I pray that I am able to purge the spiritual.  It will be messy at times, this I know for sure.  But I know that the Lord is good and that He will be my Cornerstone in all of this.  So bare with me!  It may get crazy!

No comments: