Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Windows AND Doors

Yesterday Troy lost his job.  I was filled with frustration.  Not despair. Just frustration.  Later that evening I posted on Facebook that "Troy lost his job".  I was bombarded by well wishes, words of encouragement and offers of prayer.  I love my peeps!

One resounding theme was "God closes doors and will open a window".  We say this all the time. We even pray it. And it got me thinking. Is this biblical?  Does the very Word of God say, "I will close a door and then open a window.".  I searched and searched and can not find it in the Bible.  Kinda like, "God only gives you what you can handle". Really?  My friends could handle losing a child? The victims of hurricane Ike could handle not having food and water or shelter?

This post is not meant to upset anyone or even sound ungrateful for the thoughts and prayers that I have received.  It is to get us thinking.  To look in the Word for our encouragement, not to sayings that speak of God's character that turn out to be un-biblical.


1 comment:

Tote-ally Blessed Ellen said...

I have never heard the "close the door, open a window" before but have heard that God only gives what you can handle. I'm not sure if you are saying that the latter is un-Biblical or not, but I do know it's in there. Not those exact words though.

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it]." ~1 Corinthians 10:13

Having lost a child myself (miscarriage), I can honestly say that I could handle it but only because I clung to the Lord. Kind of like the saying, "If God brings you to it, He will see you through it." Which, I don't believe is Biblical either. He allows things to happen to us yes. It's our own sinfulness that brings us there though. Back to the verse I mentioned, our God will not let something happen to us that is so awful we can't get through it. We just have to keep our eyes on Him through it. I think it has a lot to do about trust and obedience to His Will, not our won. I hope I'm not out of place here. I do agree with you, we need to make sure that everything we say, and believe, is Biblical.

I am sorry to hear that Troy lost his job. I too will be lifting you all up in prayer.