Sunday, March 4, 2012

A new look to 7

Before I opened my eyes I prayed the words, "What is it that you want me to eat?". Only a mere 4 days ago I started the food fast for "7".  I have struggled adhering to it since day 1!  Why is that? Sterling was sure I was going to fail and drop out and to be honest I was too. 

The last few days I have been asking myself why am I doing this?  There has to be a really good reason.  I couldn't think of one.  Mrs. Hatmaker makes great strides when it comes to her fast from her favorite foods. Am I going to too? Then someone said to me, "Are you sure this is what you should be focused on right now?". 

I have been thinking about those words.  I will say that I have not adhered to my original list of foods but what I have done is make a change in my diet.  I have been pouring over blogs, looking up information on the internet, watching documentaries etc. I have been looking at how I abuse food instead of using it to nourish my body. 

So today when I prayed those 9 words I felt like the Lord was leading me on a different path than my original plan of "7".  I also realized that I NEVER prayed about the first plan!  I haven't talked to my partner about this yet but I will.  Instead of only eating seven foods for a month I am going to start by cutting out 7 unhealthy things that are in our diet.  I will be more conscience when I shop and will only buy foods that are meant to enrich our diets not fill us with empty calories. 

I have already ordered some organic products online which included some seeds for a garden.  Each year we try a garden and are never really successful.  This year I am committed to taking the time with my family to work on it.  Growing food to live not living for the food.

Here are some things that are starting on the list.  I don't know if I will only do 7 this month or if it will be more.  I also don't know how long this will go on...meaning how long I will keep cutting out products.  What I do know is that instead of throwing everything out and shocking my kids systems in one day I will slowly transition them.  So this will stick!

No Dye: Especially Red 40 and Yellow 6 (we have done this before, it is time to get back on track!)
No High Fructose Corn Syrup (it is in EVERYTHING!)
Only Organic fruits and veggies
No sugary cereal (cutting out dye and HFCS will take care of this!)
Only organic peanut butter
No preservatives 
Nothing with more than 5 ingredients (if the label has more than 5 we won't be buying it, unless it is like my cereal that I just bought.  It is an organic flax cereal with about 7 ingredients.  All of the ingredients are recognizable and good for you so I let it slide!)
Homemade bread- (I found out that most breads have more than 20 ingredients in them. I am going to try to make bread, we will see how that works.)

That is 8 items. Hopefully looking at food in a whole new way will help me to not abuse it.  Not to mention my family will be so much healthier!

No comments: